Chemical businesses should take these five actions as a start:
arrows 1
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. EU Transition Ended
  4.  » Chemicals Sector EU Transition

Visit to find out what new rules they need to follow.


Check what actions they need to take under UK REACH, EU REACH and other chemical regulations to continue to manufacture and place chemicals on the Great Britain, Northern Ireland and EU markets.

  • If businesses want to place chemicals on both the EU/EEA and UK markets, they must follow both EU REACH and UK REACH rules. They must register chemicals they want to sell on the UK market with the Health and Safety Executive.

Check the new rules on importing and exporting goods between the EU and Great Britain. Different rules apply in Northern Ireland.

  • If businesses send goods from Great Britain to customers in Europe, they must complete export declarations for those goods. Goods exported to the EU may be subject to additional checks.
  • If they import goods from Europe that are on the controlled goods list (such as high risk animal products, alcohol or tobacco, or firearms), they must also complete declarations. If they import non controlled goods into Great Britain from Europe, they may be able to defer import declarations for up to six months.
  • More information is available here on GOV.UK



Check if a visa or work permit is required to travel to the EU for
work purposes and apply if necessary.

  • Business travellers may need to apply for a visa, work permit or other documentation before travelling to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein. This will depend on what they plan to do during their trip and which specific country they are travelling to.
  • It is advised that you apply well in advance of travel and check that your passport has at least six months validity for the duration of your stay.
  • More information is available here on GOV.UK

If businesses are moving goods into, out of, or through Northern Ireland, they should check the latest guidance.

  • The Northern Ireland Protocol has come into force. There are special provisions which only apply in Northern Ireland so if businesses move goods into, out of, or through Northern Ireland they need to make sure they check the latest guidance here