Construction businesses should take these five actions as a start:

arrows 1
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. EU Transition Ended
  4.  » Construction sector EU Transition

Visit to find out what new rules they need to follow.


Check the new rules onimporting and exporting goods between the EU and Great Britain. Differentrules apply in Northern Ireland.

  • If a businesssendsgoods from Great Britain to customers in Europe,theymust complete export declarations for those goods. Goods exported to the EU may be subject to additional checks.

  • If they import goods from Europe that are on the controlled goods list (such as high-risk animal products, alcohol or tobacco, or firearms), they must also complete declarations. If a business importsnon-controlled goods into Great Britainfrom Europe, they may be able to defer import declarations for up to six months.

  • More information on imported goods and declarations is available on GOV.UK

Use GOV.UK to identify changes affecting manufactured goods, such as new marking requirements or approvals needed, to ensure businesses are ready to sell them in the UK and EU.

  • Businesses may need to review product markings, labelling, and
    packaging. They may need additional approvals, certifications, or
    registrations. They may need to appoint a legal representative
    based in the UK or EU. The legal responsibilities of businesses or
    their distributors may change.
  • More information is available here on GOV.UK



If businesses are planning to recruit from overseas, they will need to register as a licensed visa sponsor.

  • The way businesses hire from the EU has changed. Free movement has ended, and the new points based immigration system will introduce job, salary and language requirements for those wanting to come to the UK to work. Businesses will need a sponsor licence to hire eligible skilled workers from outside the UK. Getting a licence normally takes 8 weeks and fees apply.
  • This does not apply when hiring Irish citizens or those eligible for status under the EU Settlement Scheme.
  • More information is available here on GOV.UK



If businesses are moving goods into, out of, or through Northern Ireland, they need to check the latest guidance.

  • The Northern Ireland Protocol has come into force. There are special provisions which only apply in Northern Ireland so if a business moves goods into, out of, or through Northern Ireland they need to check the latest guidance here on GOV.UK