Get involved with the Kickstart Scheme
The Kickstart Scheme provides funding to create new 6-month jobs for 16 to 24 year olds on Universal Credit who are at risk of long term unemployment. Thousands of employers across the private, public and not-for-profit sectors have already applied for funding, which covers:
- 100% of the National Minimum Wage or the National Living Wage for 25 hours per week for a total of 6 months
- associated employer National Insurance contributions
- minimum automatic enrolment pension contributions
- a grant of £1,500 per job to cover setup costs and employability support
Why should you apply for Kickstart?
- You will have a young person working for you for six months, funded by the Government.
- Your business will be set to benefit, flourish and grow by taking on these young people full of energy, new ideas and digital know-how.
- You will be able to give a young person who has been unemployed for a while a potentially life changing opportunity.
- You will feel you are playing your part in helping with the wider post-pandemic economic recovery.
You can apply directly online or through a Kickstart gateway, which will act as an intermediary and apply for funding on your behalf.
The Department for Work and Pensions are running a series of webinars to introduce employers to the benefits of the Kickstart Scheme. Following an overview of the scheme, there will be an opportunity to ask questions. Webinars will be held weekly on Microsoft Teams. To attend, register for free on eventbrite.
Get your application in soon. Apply by October to give the best opportunity of taking advantage of the Kickstart Scheme! For more information and how to apply visit gov.uk/kickstart.
We employed our first cohort of 7 Kickstart participants in April and they have proved to be a real asset in a very short space of time. Our aim is to offer a total of 20 Kickstart opportunities by the end of the year. The potential for growth is a very exciting prospect for both the young people and the Club as a whole.
ADAM DAVY, COMMUNITY DIRECTOR, WALSALL FC
Employers can spread the job start dates up until 31 December 2021. You’ll get funding until 30 June 2022 if a young person starts their job on 31 December 2021. Further funding is available to provide support so that young people on the scheme can get a job in the future.
How to apply
You can apply for a Kickstart Scheme grant by either:
- applying online yourself
- applying through a Kickstart gateway who is already working with the Kickstart Scheme
You do not need to apply again if you’ve already successfully applied for a Kickstart Scheme grant. Find out how to create more jobs.